Saturday, August 13, 2011

CONFIRMED: Topshop is coming to Australia!

Words cannot describe my excitement for the impending opening of Australia's first Topshop, in my very own city of Melbourne! It seems they have chosen to open in the Jam Factory complex, in Chapel Street, apparently in the location that Borders occupied before they closed.

Surprisingly, earlier this year I was not as excited about the opening of Zara. The Melbourne opening was delayed a few times, and the Sydney store ended up opening first. After a few weeks of the opening, I went and had a look, but was slightly underwhelmed. Many of the clothes were lovely, it was just many of them were similar to what we already had here, and at similar prices, too. As they are in the Bourke Street mall, it was very full of tourists, many who looked like they didn't want to be there (fathers, brothers, parents following their daughters/girlfriends/families around). Another time I had a look it was quieter, but they seem to run out of smaller sizes very quickly. I'm also disappointed that Zara has not yet extended their online shopping website to Australia.

With an expected opening date of December 2011, I hope that they will reflect their website to accurately reflect the availability of stock and prices of their Australian store. It seems the store will be fairly large (1300m2 exactly), and will be a nice change from venturing into the CBD for shopping! I also think Topshop fits the aesthetic of Chapel Street very well. I hope their pricing will be competitive and accurately reflect the quality of their stock, and not be inflated as many other brands are here in Australia.

Sydneysiders, there is a rumour that they are also looking at a site at Chatswood Chase for their next store.. so it mightn't be too far away either!

Things I'm currently eyeing off from the website -






Are you excited for Topshop's opening?

1 comment:

  1. I hope the new Topshop will extend their online shopping to do free delivery for the rest of Australia. I'm very disappointed as well at Zara for not doing this and I've heard there are lines out of the door in the shops so it doesn't make it a very pleasurable experience.

    ReplyDelete